Services For Students

VISA and Immigration

If you intend to study for more than 3 months, you must apply for a student visa. You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis.


You will need the following documents for your visa application:

  1. Visa application form (which your education counsellor will help you complete)
    Visa application fee
    3. Four passport-sized photographs
    4. Valid passport
    5. Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (once your counsellor has applied to institutions for you)
    6. IELTS result (your counsellor can book  your place in an English test)
    7. Academic and work experience documents
    8. Statement of purpose
    9. Evidence of financial ability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare.
  • Health requirements: Some students may be advised to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse). If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department. Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchaseOverseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from one of the five approved providers: Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC. The average cost of OSHC is AUS$437 (US$383) for 12 months for a single student. Students from Sweden who have purchased health insurance through CSN International or Kammarkollegiet will not need to purchase OSHC.
  • Character requirements: All students will also be assessed against thecharacter requirements stipulated by DIAC. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you don’t have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement, and may be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.

Can I work? 
You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.


Post arrival guidance

Empty section. Edit page to add content here.